Municipal Solid Waste
Modern society is a wasteful community which produces too much wastes and byproducts. All the three phases of waste products, solid, liquid and gases are polluting the earth and the atmosphere. In the solid wastes, a large percentage is non-biodegradable and can be reused for road construction and building activities. The biodegradable part is more valuable as these can be degraded by different microorganisms into simple metabolites which can be taken up by plants. Thus the organic compost produced from MSW is an ideal Biofertilizer which can ameliorate agricultural soil in several ways:
1. Correcting the pH of soil
2. Increasing the porosity of the soil
3. Increasing the water retention capacity of soil
4. Increasing the organic content and humus of soil
5. Multiplying the number of microbes beneficial to plants in soil.